Where’s My Tax Refund?

Posted on: April 5th, 2010 by

Tax Refund - Rockville, MDSince 2003, taxpayers have been able to use the IRS’ “Where’s My Refund?” web page to track down refunds directly from their own computer.  Exactly when you will need to use this service, however, depends on when and how you filed your return as well as how you asked to have your refund issued to you.  If you e-file and ask for direct deposit, the IRS says that it should take no more than 3 weeks to receive your refund.  If you paper filed your return and asked for your check to be mailed to you, it could take up to 8 weeks.

To get started you will need your Social Security number, the filing status entered on your return, and the exact amount you are expecting.  (You can always call your CPA for the exact amount if you don’t recall)  Joint return filers should enter the name and tax ID number of the spouse first shown on the return.  Once you submit, the program should let you know exactly where your refund is.

If you still would prefer to make a phone call though, you can call their special automated toll-free number: (800) 829-1954.  You will need the same information that the online system requires.



  1. Tag Cloud
  2. Blog Home